Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Between this and that...

...it has been quite a while since I have posted. I kept thinking I would wait until I had enough things to make posting worth while, but the days have sped by so quickly, that the things I wanted to write about are really old news, or completely forgotten.

Having passed my 69th birthday, I find though I am older, I am not much wiser, and still manage to get myself in the middle of a muddle. Oh well, life goes on.

Heather treated Dawn and I to a play in Wolfville, Wingfield's Progress, which we all enjoyed. Dawn's birthday is the day before mine, and they fall right in the middle of raspberries, so we had to take a welcome evening off to go.

The raspberries, though slow in coming, really came on strong 2 weeks ago, lots of orders, and many, many u-pickers. They are drawing to an end now, as many are overripe, but we'll stay open for u-pick for a few days yet. The weather has been desperately hot the last couple of days. Fried raspberries anyone?

I have been seeing fledgling blue jays, song sparrows, goldfinch and hummers, as I sit outside, ready to wait on customers from the raspberry field. The chipmunk has been paying regular visits to the lawn, helping himself to the dropped seeds. He, or one of his friends have found some sunflower seeds on the picnic table, which were left purposely to see what would search them out.
At one time, there were 3 chipmunks racing around, and they didn't seem to mind my watching. One of the chipmunks is an accrobat, and has found a way to the small bird feeder, though is not that great at jumping from the tray to the tree limb above.......vroom......flop!  Another time he was in the feeder, and was joined by a chickadee. Neither seemed to care.

I have been watching some of the Olympics, when I can. I was completely worn out rocking back and forth, helping our Canadian rowers. What talented young people, and I mean all the athletes. All having worked so hard, and given up a lot of things to pursue their dreams. It's a shame that only the top three are recoginzed, because there are so many who have achieved their personal best, or those who just didn't give up, pushing through the pain to finish, perservering to the end. I think it is quite an achievement just to qualify for these games. I salute all of them.

Here are a few pictures from the last couple of weeks.



Lilies blooming

Look carefully-there is a hummer on the small branch

Little chipmunk sniffing around



4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this glimpse into the ordinary things of your life, Bonnie. Belated birthday greetings from across the Atlantic. :-) If it helps, I've been lacking in blog inspiration for what seems like ages.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life is really not very exciting, compared with some of the blogs I read, but it will do until a better one comes along. Thank you for the greetings. My best to you.

      Delete
  2. The ordinary days are lovely days. People tend to disregard the ordinary when there is so much love and joy in front of us. I loved the chipmunk sniffing around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy the ordinary things around me. Too often we take for granted the beauty around, and I need to keep reminding myself of that. I have found that even the lowly little sparrows are extremely interesting, and make me smile at their antics.

      Delete