Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

It is time for another post, if I don't melt away before I am done. Since I did so much belly-aching about the cold, I dare not complain about the weather we have had this weekend, but I will just say that it has been hot, hot, hot! Did I mention that it has been sweltering hot? I am not complaining, but rather giving a true description of the weather in the valley. It has been a great weekend for the Apple Blossom Festival, so that's a plus. It is going to cool down as the week moves along, and rain is expected. After being baked, the gardens will be refreshed.

The blossoms didn't last long on the trees. The wind took care of them. It would be nice if they lasted a bit longer, just because they are so pretty.

The beginning of Dawn's dream garden.
Naturally a bench is needed after the weeding.
(which I volunteered to do)

I noticed my first Lupens flowering.
Soon the ditch will be full of them.

I usually take a shot of the barn from the house,
but this is a shot of the house from the barn.
 
..................................................................................
 
 
I took a trip down memory lane on Friday, when I delivered Lindsay to Girl Guide Camp. When my daughters were young, they were involved in Guides, and so was I. I stayed longer than they did. When I think about it now, I don't know how I did it. That happens quite often when I look back on things. I was probably a leader for 10 or 11 years. We had such great fun at this camp. It's a little ways back in the woods, and in those days we had the old ridge tents, a big boiler fire for dishes, and this lodge in the picture below was where we cooked on rainy days, ate, and did crafts, and had fun.
 
 I remember one night, there was going to be an eclipse of the moon, and most girls wanted to stay up and watch it. That was the way it started, but gradually the watchers thinned out, until there was just one girl left, and me. That was a very short night. We would usually go for a week, and Dawn, another guide and myself always seemed to spend our birthdays there.
Campfires were always a fun time too with guitar, singing and skits. It was just a wonderful time.
Lindsay is a 3rd generation camper at this guide camp, and taking her there brought all these thoughts.
I am sad to say, that the camp area is not as nice as it was way back then, although, trees were cut to allow for a view of the lake. There were always loons on the water, and it was so neat to listen to their calls.
The other thing that made me sad, was the logging that has been going on along the road into the camp. It looks so ugly.
 



 
 The "lat", though this is a new one.


This is just one area. It looked like this most of the way in.
I guess times change, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
 
Well, all this walking down memory lane has tired me out,
so I'll say,
so long
for now.
Day is done, gone the sun,
From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky.
All is well, safely rest,
God is nigh.
 

8 comments:

  1. Nice reflections!
    PS I SEE MY VAN! muahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry the weather has swung a bit too far in the other direction, but it must have been great for the Apple Festival. I was a guide back in the distant past and our daughter was a Brownie. Such fun.

    Logged-out areas look so bleak and ugly, but hopefully nature will repair things before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in hopes that the area will be cleaned up some, and that the underbrush will grow up again.
      It really disturbs me to see clearcuts.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'm sorry about the change....I don't do well with it, especially when something so beautiful is turned into something so barren. Nature will do it's job, though, if everything is left alone. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Perpetua, I am in hopes that things will renew themselves. It is not much of a habitat for anything right now.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear about your memories, Bonnie. Smiling at the thought of you as a leader for so many years. That is really cool. I am now remembering my own Girl Scout days, which is probably the equivalent here in the US. We used to sing "Make new friends, but keep the old..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl Scouts and Girl Guides are pretty much the same......"Some are silver, and the others gold", sung in a round of course, at campfire.

      Delete