Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Cold, Cold, Cold!

     Today was bitterly cold.  It was a good day to stay inside.  There was not much activity at the feeder.  A few jays, and juncos braved the chill, and the squirrels were there for a short time. Backyard has managed to chew the top board and make his entrance hole larger.
     I felt sorry for the birds today, though I know they are quite able to manage the cold, but another new bird arrived today, and I've had a difficult time trying to figure out what it is.  It looked like it was very hungry and stayed most of the day, probably in the bush, but was at the feeder several times.  It may have been a female red winged blackbird, very dark brown on the back and heavily striped chest, medium bill, and larger than a sparrow, and a bit smaller than a dove.  I attempted to take a picture of the dove and the new bird together on the feeder, but it didn't turn out very well, and it is hard to see them. I assumed that red wings went south for the winter, but some must stay, or my identification is wrong.  I wonder if she'll be here tomorrow?
      Sadie says "take this cold and shove it!"  or she would say that if she could talk.  The wind today practically blew her over.  She is NOT impressed.  Still, I am pleased with her that she is willing to go out.
She did better than me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment