Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

About Birds and Blossoms

The sun is shining today, with just a light cloud above. The days have been quite nice this week, and the temperature above  normal for this time of year. Last year, at this time, we had a heavy snowfall. You never know in Nova Scotia what the weather will be. It is a good time to get things tidied up in the orchard, and raspberry fields, before the snow flies.

I have just left the garden as is. It will be patient with me. It is not demanding. I do not move quite as easily in the cold, so I will just leave it.

I have been busy with painting and felting, getting ready for Christmas. I like to make little things for my friends in the Bible Study Group, and the Choir. If I have enough, I will give what is left to the little ones in church.

There is still lots of activity in my yard, around the feeders. The goldfinch are getting quite brave about coming to the window feeder. They will cling to the window frame, bottom or even side, waiting their turn. The ones on the feeder are a bit greedy, and chase the others away. Even the chickadees are coming to the window. It is the one feeder that the blue jays cannot land on. Squirrels are making a nuisance of themselves, and I am still catching hornets in the house. Weird.

My Christmas cactus began to bloom a few days ago. I am always surprised when it blooms, as I am not particularly a good caretaker where it is concerned. Perhaps it thrives on not getting water very often. I do not know what the trick is, but it blooms somehow.


such a pretty colour
 

Latest painting, Apple Blossoms

A visit to the yard by pheasants
 
 
There are several things coming up, things to attend during the Christmas season, along with more doctor appointments. I'm still taking drops for my eye, at least until the 19th of Dec. I am glad that I can keep busy, but the days go by so fast. I don't want to turn around or blink, or it will be Christmas day, and I am really not ready.
 
Last weekend was quite busy. I spent Saturday morning helping out at the church, tidying up the Choir room, Library and Resource room, as it was indoor clean up day. I did what I could. Then, Saturday afternoon, I went to a fundraiser Tea, for Lindsay's choir. The choir sang several pieces, and some individual children did separate performances. They served very tasty deserts.Then on Sunday evening I attended a Gospel Concert at a neighbouring church. It was a fundraiser as well.
 
That may not seem like much to some, but after the weekend, I am still very tired, and this weekend is about to start. Thankfully I do not have anything on but Church. I get so weary, especially if I go to more than one event a day. Sounds strange, but just the going is hard. 

5 comments:

  1. Christmas cactuses thrive on neglect, Bonnie, as do indoor cyclamens. I have a Christmas cactus which is now well over 30 years old (a cutting from my mother's) and it is full of buds again, though not yet in bloom.

    Take care of yourself and don't get overtired. You sound like you have a lot on your plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to know that I am doing it right.:) I just take one day at a time.

      Delete
  2. I find in the last year or two I really have to pace myself, and when the heating season starts must set aside energy each day to carry in wood to put beside the woodstove for the coming day and night. You just do what you must do and any more is icing on the cake! Don't push yourself too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't push, I might end up doing nothing. As I said to Perpetua, one day at a time, and there are occasions when I say, I just can't do that today. Thanks for your comment. We don't do the wood stove thing anymore, unless the power goes out.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete